Crock-pot Quinoa StewPosted: May 17, 2012
I love healthy food but I don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen preparing it so when I come across a crock-pot recipe with nutritious ingredients, I get a little excited. :)
*This recipe may look like it has a lot of ingredients but most of its seasonings which makes this dish DELISH!
1-tablespoon olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves, pressed
2 handfuls of chopped up celery
2 handfuls of chopped up mushrooms (any kind is fine)
1 red or green pepper (or half of each), diced
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1-teaspoon cumin powder
1-teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1-tablespoon soy sauce (low sodium)
Black pepper to taste
½ cup uncooked quinoa
3 cups of water
8 ounce unsalted tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounce) kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can (15 ounce) black beans (drained and rinsed)
- Sauté garlic, celery, mushrooms and pepper in oil for 10 minutes on medium.
- Add spices, herbs and soy sauce to mixture and stir in for a few minutes.
- Combine water, tomato sauce, quinoa and beans in a large crock-pot.
- Add mixture from step number one. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
*If you like it hotter (sounds a little personal) add more chili powder or red pepper flakes.
This recipe has been revised from original.