Put down the soda and step away…Posted: October 30, 2011
Okay, we need to talk. Are you sitting down? Do you drink soda or as we call it in the Midwest, pop? If so, please, please, please, PPLLEEAASSEE stop. Here’s why…
Leads to weight gain (big time!)
Has zero nutritional value (so, why drink it?)
Is acid forming (which causes heartburn and acid reflux)
Contributes to tooth decay and stained teeth
Can weaken bones
Leads to high blood pressure
Can cause insomnia and other sleeping disorders
Can cause higher risk of cancer
Doubles the risk of kidney disease
Promotes kidney stones
May deplete potassium
Can damage your skin
Can lead to blood sugar disorders
-I know what you’re thinking (sometimes, my psychic powers amaze me), that you don’t have to worry because you drink diet soda, right? Wrong.
Has the same acidic effect as regular soda
Has been found to increase the possibility of weight gain by 41%
Have artificial sweeteners that can lead to serious health issues (read below)
Aspartame may cause:
Short-term memory loss
Effects on hormone production
Inability to concentrate
Depression, irritability and moodiness
*Aspartame otherwise known as: NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful and Equal-Measure
IMPORTANT INFO: Cutting one pop (soda) daily from your diet eliminates about 250 calories. Assuming you make no other changes to your diet or exercise regimen, this will help you lose about a ½-lb. of body fat per week. Cutting out a two-pop-per-day habit will lead to a weight loss of 1 lb. per week. –LIVESTRONG.COM
STEPS TO STOP DRINKING SODA/POP
- Remove all the soda from your house. Give it to a neighbor that you don’t really like. j/k :)
- Substitute soda for water (flavored with lemon or lime juice, frozen fruit or a splash of organic apple juice) or green tea (you can even use a small amount of raw honey).
- Keep your water bottle close by so you never “feel” thirsty.
- Think about the money you will save from not buying soda.
- If you have children think about the example you will be setting for them.
Remember, I’m only telling you this because I love you. :)